If you are one of a number of immigration applicants, you can’t skip this process: checking your case status on the USCIS website. The process may take months or even years depending on the type of visas you applied for. In this article, we will explain what USCIS provides you online in terms of your case status.
I. What is USCIS Case Tracker?
It is exactly as it sounds. You can track your case online with USCIS case tracker. Once you have completed your immigration application, petition, or request, the receipt number will be assigned to you. You can enter the number on the tracker in order to check, for example, whether your application has been received, your application is being actively reviewed, or it has been approved. Recognizing that a large number of applicants get lost during the entire process, USCIS case tracker gives you a clue of how far your application has gone. The online system will show the last action taken on your case and will let you know the next steps, if applicable. USCIS also provides reminders to keep your address current and how to submit inquiries.
II. What Does USCIS Case Tracker Shows You
Let’s say you married a U.S citizen, and you applied for a marriage-based Green Card. Filling in form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative is the first step to do with your spouse. After your submission, you will be notified that your I-130 has been received by USCIS. With a receipt number, you can see those messages as below:
- Your I-130 has been received: It means you are safe waiting. There is nothing you can do to expedite your case, unless there are some extraordinary circumstances present.
- USCIS has transferred your case to another office: this is generally a good sign. It means that your I-130 petition has met basic requirements and is being routed to a local official to perform an interview if needed and to make a final decision on your case.
- Your case has been scheduled for an interview: you’ll need to look out for your appointment notice to find out where and when the I-130 interview will take place. It is very important to be prepared for it, especially when your I-130 is based on marriage.
- If USCIS has sent you a letter asking for more information, you need to check your mail frequently to make sure you get it. When USCIS asks for more information, generally you may have 90 days to respond.
- Your I-130 has been denied: There are many reasons why USCIS might refuse to approve an I-130 petition. The reason could be that you didn’t provide enough information such as a relationship with your spouse. Note that normally you will be notified of the problem first, before receiving a denial notice, so you will have a chance to supply follow-up documentation.
- Your I-130 has been approved: congratulations! But this is only the first step in the process of getting a Green Card. You still need to prepare form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, if you stay in the U.S.
III. How to Check Your Case Status
Download the Lawfully Case Tracker app on your phone. Enter a receipt number of your case and fill out all information including the filing date, the visa type, and the reviewing service center. Once you register a case, you don’t need to come visit the app or the USCIS website anymore. Instead, the app will automatically push notifications to you when your case status is updated.
When you receive notifications, the app not merely presents you with a USCIS message for your current status, but also supplements the meaning of the message and what to expect in the next step.
Whereas the USCIS website simply conveys and updates the status of your application, Lawfully case tracker app obtains comprehensive information on your case for you: 1) the smart app predicts the expected decision date of your application based on the data of the same visa type we have collected for over 3 years. 2) it even generates the probability of the approval and RFE rate of your application. If you subscribe to Lawfully’s Case Analysis Pro, you can register up to 10 cases and monitor “Your Ranking” among other users of the same visa type so that you are able to check how many applicants are ahead of you before the decision of your case.
Have you applied for a visa outside the U.S.? We are expanding the coverage of our case tracking, and you will be able to track your NVC case soon in the coming weeks. If you want to straighten out your long and complicated immigration journey, download Lawfully App now!